If your child has been identified as having an Special educational needs and or disability, it can be a confusing and emotional time for parents and carers. There are some documents and organisations that can guide, help and support you.

Special educational needs and disabilities: a guide for parents and carers

This guide explains how the system that supports children and young people with special educational needs and disability (SEND) works.

It covers:

  • the law and guidance on which the system is based

  • places to go for help and further information

  • details about changes to the system from 1 September 2014


Click here to read the guide for parents.


Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years

Click here to read the code of practice.

This statutory code contains:

  • details of legal requirements that you must follow without exception

  • statutory guidance that you must follow by law unless there’s a good reason not to

It explains the duties of local authorities, health bodies, schools and colleges to provide for those with special educational needs under part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014.

The code, which applies to England, is for:

  • headteachers and principals

  • governing bodies

  • school and college staff

  • special educational needs (SEN) co-ordinators

  • early years providers

  • other education settings

  • local authorities

  • health and social services staff


Family Action is a web based service that has pulled together national information on key topics.

The NSPCC has advice for parents and carers on how to support children with SEND at home.

SENDIASS - The Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Services offer information, advice and support for parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This service is also offered directly to young people.

The service is freeimpartial and confidential.

The following booklet has been produced by Rochdale, to guide and support parents with Neurodiversity.



Rochdale has a Neurodiversity Hub. The Neurodiversity Hub is a new service. It supports families and children who are neurodivergent or who have social communication differences, to work together with professionals to problem solve issues that are affecting them. It is based on needs and not a diagnosis.

The Neurodiversity Hub is a multi-agency screening, signposting, and support service. 

Who is in their team?

  • Speech and language therapist

  • Paediatric neurodevelopment nurse

  • Neurodiversity liaison nurse

  • Specialist teacher

  • Local mental health practitioner

  • Team for the Rochdale Autism and ADHD service (RAASS)

Working hours: Monday to Friday from 8am until 4pm, excluding bank holidays.

We accept requests for help for children and young people under 19 years of age who live in Heywood, Middleton, and Rochdale. You do not need a formal diagnosis to access support from The Neurodiversity Hub. 

Where appropriate, we will work with families and services to gain the evidence required to move forward with referrals for autism/ADHD assessments.

For school age children (aged 5 years and above) the Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) will continue to carry out the initial and diagnostic assessment. For early years children (under the age of 5 years) the Community Paediatric Service will carry out the initial assessment and the Autism Assessment Team will carry out the diagnostic assessment.

Families and professionals can still send information to CAMHS requesting an autism assessment. However, families may be signposted to the hub if they do not feel the request is appropriate at that time.

For more information and how to refer, click this link



CAMHS  - Workshops for parents/carers of Young People with Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC)




Rochdale Child and Educational Psychology Advice line -



© Copyright 2015–2024 Boarshaw Primary School

School & College Websites by Schudio